Friday, July 8, 2011

The lesson I was taught today.

A few weeks ago I was sent a summons by the Federal Court in Sherman to appear for jury duty. I've always wanted to be a juror but in 54 years I've never been called. I figured that somewhere, something kept my name from being selected and just accepted that as my lot. Oh well... bigger things to worry about I guess so I never paid it much mind.
When this recent summons arrived I was kinda excited about the opportunity to be a juror. I remember in High School going to the Van Nuys court house after school a few times to sit in a court room to just watch. That was before the full body scanners and very tight security. You were free to roam in and out of courtrooms at will. I thought it was interesting and a fun way to spend a hot afternoon in a cool courthouse.
The only case I remember somehow involved a typewriter. Remember those? And a brother-in-law who got angry and threw someones new ROYAL (why do I remember the brand???) typewriter out the window. One guy was suing the other for the cost of the typewriter and the damage to the window. Small potatoes but it must of made an impression on me, I remember the brand of the typewriter 38 years later. :0)
Today was a bit different. We were told to arrive at 8:45 to go through the security process to enter the building. Business attire. We had to forfeit our bottled water and reading materials, all phones and camera's were either confiscated or you were instructed to take them back to the car. BUT DON'T BE LATE~ One lady had her banana confiscated!
It was a slow arduous process. It was like watching corn grow, or maybe watching paint dry. Which is slower? Because that is what it was. The participants and court officials seemed to only have one speed... SLOOOOOW. Nothing seemed to excite them or motivate them to move any faster. We waited.
We filled the forms out that were intended to give the attorneys some insight to our expereinces and biases. A few were singled out to answer specific questions based on those same forms. Then... we waited.
The judge came out and asked us to wait in the hallway. So we all filed out into the hall where there were seats for 10 of us. BUT ...there were 65 of us. I know this because I was number 65!
This is a side note to what I learned today but it really irritated me so i'm going to mention it here. Many of these prospective jurors were seniors, I mean one woman was 75 and another was 80. They never complained but do you think some of the younger people would get up and offer one of the rare seats to them? NOPE!! NOT ONE DID!! We waited almost 30 minutes in that hot hallway and not one person offered their seat to a senior. UGH!!! And we aren't talkin' young like 20, we are talking like 40!! 2 seconds more and I was about to embarrass a few (and maybe myself) by asking them in front of everyone else to please get up and let the older ladies sit down. I was saved by the Marshall who ushered us back into the courtroom where....we waited.
This exercise of being ushered to the hallway happened a few times and it's where my lesson happened.....
A few of us were griping about the speed of justice (or lack of) and how there certainly had to be a speedier method to this jury selection process. We weren't really upset or being snotty, just thinking outloud and maybe a bit fussy for the lack of seats in the hallway and crummy A/C system. It was 103 in Texas today and the men were required to wear a suit and tie! There were lots of comments.... Could they be better prepared, turn down the A/C, why can't I have my bottled water? You know, just things people think about when they have idle time and are a bit uncomfortable.
WEEELLLLLL.... There were about 6-8 of us in this one group that stood on the stair landing. I'd say the average age was 50'ish and a combo of men and women. Just idle chit-chat while ...we waited.
Water, seats, A/C, etc, etc, etc and up speaks this Chinese man in the group. "I dont want to be critical", he says, "but where I come from we don't have trials. If you are arrested you go to prison, you don't get to defend yourself in a court and we don't even know what a JURY is. And when you do go to prison you often don't get out." He continued to say that while we may find this a inconveinence he is proud to be here and glad to get the chance to be part of a jury. He liked the concept. He told us how in China, if someone thinks you broke a law the judge made your sentence. Often you didn't even know which law you were accused of breaking and there was certainly no opportunity to defend yourself or present your side of the story. Arrested=guilty=prison. You aren't allowed to speak in a Chinese court, only the judge speaks, he said
MAN!! Talk about feeling dopey in 30 seconds flat!! This Chinese man was so careful to not insult us and make us feel bad, but he did. He was so grateful to be a part of something many of us take for granted. I know I did.
This man made all of us reflect a bit on the process we were apart of and how important it was that people were willing serve. Sure it was an inconvienence to be in Sherman by 8:30. I'm busy, Ya know!!
Well, after that break/conversation we filed back into the courtroom a bit more humble and with a changed attitude about this "inconvienence".
If not me, who? I kept asking myself that as...we waited~
These defendants needed a fair and impartial jury to either clear them or convict them. It's part of how our system works. And it ONLY works because people are willing to serve on juries.
I was REJECTED!! I didn't get picked. It felt sorta like in 8th grade when you didn't get picked and were left standing while teams were formed. I tried not to take it personally and I hope I get another chance to SERVE. It's my duty and I will be more thoughtful about it next time.
Thanks Mr Chinese Man. I try to learn something new each day and today was a doozie!

R.I.P. Betty Ford. I met you a few years ago in Palm Desert. I was at a wedding at the Marriot and you and President Ford were in the hotel having dinner. You stuck your head into the ballroom to "see what was going on". You came in to greet the bride and groom and to take a few pictures. I'm not sure they knew who you were. LOL They were young~ But they knew you were important and took the time to come in. Mr Ford danced with the bride. Those pictures will be priceless in a few years to them.
I have always admired you for your candor, your willingness to say what's on your mind and to go against the flow when you felt the need.
You spoke about your breast cancer and mastectomy when it was still considered a "bad word" and not spoken about publically. You admited a problem with the "drink" and as a result have impacted 90,000 lives that have been through the Betty Ford center. You made a difference.
What a legacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment